New automotive catalyst plant to enable cleaner air (2016)
To achieve cleaner air the European Commission is enacting ever-stricter limits on vehicle emissions. As carmakers need to implement the changing regulations, a new factory in Nowa Ruda will help Umicore meet the growing demand for advanced pollution control systems.
The new production facility in Nowa Ruda, Poland, will complement existing Umicore plants in Germany, France and Sweden. Construction began in the summer of 2014 and proceeded quickly. The plant was commissioned in the third quarter 2015 and ramped up to the planned production volumes during 2016.
Nowa Ruda produces a range of catalysts for both diesel and gasoline powered cars. Customers use these catalytic converters to produce finished pollution control devices. Employing around 80 people, the Nowa Ruda facility uses the newest generation of manufacturing processes.
Pascal Reymondet, Executive Vice President Catalysis at Umicore, commented on the new plant: “This investment enables us to supply our customers with technologies to meet the most stringent emission legislation and support Europe’s aim for ‘cleaner air for all’. It also underscores our ambition to be a clear leader in materials for clean mobility.”
With the capabilities to expand and broaden its product portfolio, Nowa Ruda is playing a key role in Umicore’s strategy for remaining competitive in the rapidly evolving European automotive catalyst market.
- Formula E
- Gasoline particulate filters
- Energy storage at Umicore’s Olen site
- Umicore travel and fleet policy
- Cultivating young talent
- Stationary Catalysis
- Sustainable battery materials supply chain
- Umicore Capital Market Days in Seoul, Korea
- Umicore Argentina closed the loop for cooling water
- Employee Engagement
- Closing the loop for cobalt in consumer devices’ batteries
- Umicore Hoboken integrates refugees into the workforce
- Introducing the Umicore Awards
- Innovation for a sustainable future
- Bringing the world of sustainable technologies to students
- Growing for clean mobility
- Improving gender diversity in senior management
- Powering towards a future in electric Vehicles
- Smooth integration of Haldor Topsoe’s DeNOx technology
- Environment as a catalyst for improvement
- JUMPing across borders
- Expanding to meet the clean mobility challenge
- Ensuring sustainable cobalt sourcing
- Pushing for progress on safety
- New automotive catalyst plant to enable cleaner air
- Olen: Charging for the Future
- Collaborating on new metal recovery processes